Home > AltoEdge Solutions Hub > How To Make Free Video Phone Calls Over the Internet
How To Make Free Video Phone Calls Over the Internet
This article is intended for Windows and Mac users wishing to make free video phone calls over the Internet using popular communication software programs such as Skype, Windows Live Messenger, or Google Talk.
- Most Windows laptops and all Macs come with in-built cameras. Please check your computer first to see if you already have one.
- All Windows laptops and Macs come with an in-built microphone. Please test the microphone to see if it operates to your satisfaction.
- It is always useful to check the web camera manufacturer's site for the latest version of the device drivers.
- Most standalone web cameras come with a built-in microphone as well.
- If using a standalone camera: Using the instructions supplied with the web camera, install the camera and the device drivers for the camera.
- Download and start your preferred communication client. If starting the software for the first time, you will be asked to sign up for an account, and after that you will be prompted to run through a wizard to calibrate your audio and video settings.
- Ask the person whom you wish to talk with to download the same client, and run through the account sign up process and the audio and video setup wizard on their end.
- Let each other know (by email or other means) what your account username is. Then add the other person to your contacts list, and start calling them !